calhounalumni.com/Forum Forum Index calhounalumni.com/Forum
calhounalumni.com Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   <a href=/members/register.html>Register</a>Register 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guest Book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    calhounalumni.com/Forum Forum Index -> Something you would like to see on the site
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgrilli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Guest Book Reply with quote

What happened to the guest book? Will we see it again??
dberthoud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Guest Book Reply with quote

Terri, Sorry I had to take it down spammers decided it was their playground. I am trying to figure out how to keep it spam free and will bring it back as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Donovan

[quote:0b85c6b24c=\"tgrilli\"]What happened to the guest book? Will we see it again??
russb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: I am trying to figure out how to keep it spam free Reply with quote

I would love to know how to get around spammers.

You could do what I do on my websites. Create a form where people just fill in the fields. The submission gets sent to you and you review it. Then manually post it. It's a little bit of work, but if there is not many posting, it could work out.
dberthoud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I am trying to figure out how to keep it spam free Reply with quote

[quote:7118d006b5=\"russb\"]I would love to know how to get around spammers.

You could do what I do on my websites. Create a form where people just fill in the fields. The submission gets sent to you and you review it. Then manually post it. It's a little bit of work, but if there is not many posting, it could work out.

That would be great which Guest Book do you use.

Thanks,
russb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use a guestbook script. Just a HTML page and build a form. Take a look:

http://www.alamoscouts.org/guestbook/addpost.php

After you fill it out, the information gets e-mailed to me. I review it to see if it's not spam. Then I copy & paste it into this page:

http://www.alamoscouts.org/guestbook/guestbook.htm

For added security, a person has to enter those numbers and letters at the bottom of the \"ADD\" page.

Try posting something to see what page comes up next after you click \"Submit\". I won't post anything you send, it's just a test…
dberthoud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Guestbook Reply with quote

[quote:a0e9a0b7f0=\"russb\"]I don't use a guestbook script. Just a HTML page and build a form. Take a look:

http://www.alamoscouts.org/guestbook/addpost.php

After you fill it out, the information gets e-mailed to me. I review it to see if it's not spam. Then I copy & paste it into this page:

http://www.alamoscouts.org/guestbook/guestbook.htm

For added security, a person has to enter those numbers and letters at the bottom of the \"ADD\" page.

Try posting something to see what page comes up next after you click \"Submit\". I won't post anything you send, it's just a test…

That looks great could I use the code. I could put the page back up so you could see what it looks like. Thanks for the sugestion.
russb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What came to me was this; I altered your e-mail address:

The following information was submitted on November 21, 2006 @ 3:33 pm:

-------------------Guestbook Entry-------------------

Name: Donovan Berthoud

Email: youremail@whatever.com

City&State: Merrick, NY

Guestbook Comments: This is a test from the Calhoun Alumni Website.

Thanks,

Visitor IP: 11.29.205.554
russb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The php script I use came from this website:

http://www.mindpalette.com/scripts/index.php

The file I downloaded was \"ProcessForm 3.0.14\" , it was $15.00, well worth it. I can send you the \"security images\". so you don't have to make them…

I'm guessing you know how to work this stuff and know what I'm talking about. I'm not a computer geek at all, (I wish I was sometimes) so it takes me days to figure this stuff out. Once I get it working I leave it alone…

Last edited by russb on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
russb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

\"could I use the code\"

Use anything you'd like…

Glad to help Wink
dberthoud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Guestbook Reply with quote

[quote:5e6ff6dd38=\"russb\"]The php script I use came from this website:

http://www.mindpalette.com/scripts/index.php

The file I downloaded was \"ProcessForm 3.0.14\" , it was $15.00, well worth it. I can send you the \"security images\". so you don't have to make them…

I'm guessing you know how to work this stuff and know what I'm talking about. I'm not a computer geek at all, (I wish I was sometimes) so it takes me days to figure this stuff out. Once I get it working I leave it alone…

Thanks for the help.
cstjohn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: guest book Reply with quote

i was logged in and tried to post to the guest book but got an error....
dberthoud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: guest book Reply with quote

[quote:971652e650=\"cstjohn\"]i was logged in and tried to post to the guest book but got an error....

OK it's now fixed and everyone can enter new messages. Hope that doen't include spammers.
Laura_McGee_Lauri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Guest Book Reply with quote

Donovan,

Can't believe the spammers found a way again. They need to bug off, and find something better to do with their lives.

Take Care,
Laura '76
Post new topic   Reply to topic    calhounalumni.com/Forum Forum Index -> Something you would like to see on the site All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: